her chopped hard-boiled or microwaved egg. Most sick birds will eat
good food is a hand rearing formula for caged birds. Kaytee Exact and
Nekton Tonic K are good. We have saved many weak chicks and adults with
Nekton Tonic K. You can get these at a local pet supply house or atDoctors Foster
will need to use an eyedropper to feed this to her. Be careful to place
the eyedropper far back in the mouth. There is a hole at the base of
the tongue that leads to her lungs. Get water in there and you will
make things worse.
(ThreeHorses) suggests the following:
you don't see her eating as much as you like, you can always wet the
crumbles down a bit to help her swallow while she's weak.
some oatmeal in a coffee grinder, grind it to tiny consistency, put it
in some very hot water, and let it steep until it is mostly oat water.
Mix that with a pinch of crumbles and fed that to the bird so that when
it swallows, it essentially souped up water.
her beneficial bacteria (lactobacillus), they keep digestion going
correctly and fight disease by crowding out disease bacteria. You can
just mix 1-2 teaspoons of ACTIVE culture yogurt with a small amount of
food and give this as the only food until she eats it. You can also buy
lactobacillus at health food stores, pharmacies, Wal-Mart, andLake's Unlimited800-634-2473.
she is not eating well, you can try tempting her with treats, chopped
grapes, chopped hard boiled egg, and yogurt mixed with crumbles (mushy
texture, not soupy) are all good things to try. The hard-boiled egg
gives her protein that gives her energy to recuperate. Yogurt gives her
good bacteria inside her digestive system to help fight and overcome
bad bacteria that might have gotten a hold of her.
she is not eating at all, you might try feeling her crop (by her throat
but down near her chest) and see if it is very full and hard. This
usually means she has eaten something that is not being broken down and
it is either blocking her or is decomposing in her crop and thus
poisoning her. If that's the case, she will need her crop cleaned out.
she will eat on her own, make sure she has fresh water to drink. You
can add Pedialyte to her water, this will help keep her energized and
hydrated. You can by it at any grocery store in the baby section. (It's
usually given to sick babies). Dip her beak in it (gently, don't or
drop a little on her beak with an eyedropper. She will lick it off as
it rolls down her beak.
she has eaten something bad you can use an eyedropper to give her
molasses water, about 1/2 teaspoon to a cup of water. This is sweet so
she will like it, and it will help flush her system of toxins. The
sugar in it will give her energy.
can also try red Jell-O in the water. It doesn't provide any nutritive
help like Pedialyte does, but does give her sugar for energy. The red
color helps make it attractive to her (red draws their attention) If
she's sick I'd opt for the Pedialyte.